June 3, 2019

Adois, Au revoir, Auf wiedersehen my Friends...




For the past 30 years I have practiced medicine, and through that profession have met many wonderful people and had many extraordinary experiences. With my patients I've experienced countless moments of great joy and happiness, but also ones of profound sadness and heartbreak. It has been a difficult journey but rewarding, and I wouldn't have changed anything for the world.



But now my wife (a registered nurse) and I begin a new adventure that, in all honesty, we enter with some anxiety, but also some great anticipation and excitement. We have been called on a mission, to serve in Guatemala for the next 18 months as medical advisers to some 1000+ young missionaries in Central America for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It is a voluntary assignment and is completely gratis; we'll receive no monetary compensation. But it is an opportunity to serve others and give back without expecting anything in return, and that, in part, is what we are looking forward to.

So, it's time to close down Teton Tenkara. I want to thank you all for following the blog and YouTube channel and for supporting them through these past years. I've really enjoyed sharing with you my tenkara adventures, and I hope my posts have provided some useful information, entertainment, or at least, contributed something positive to your lives. I've made some great friends here in the United States and from around the world who have enriched my life. They have been the best part of my tenkara journey.

I would like to give particular thanks to Daniel Galhardo of Tenkara USA, Chris Stewart of TenkaraBum, Adam Trahan of Tenkara-Fisher, Dr. Paul Gaskell and John Pearson of Discover Tenkara for their products, knowledge bank, and willingness to share that knowledge. I would also like to thank Tenkara Guides, LLC (John Vetterli, ERiK Ostrander and Dr. Rob Worthing) along with Masami Sakakibara for their passion in teaching tenkara and for providing the Oni Tenkara School. A special thank you goes out to Brent Auger of DRAGONTail Tenkara for tolerating me stopping by from time to time, and bugging him while he's trying to work.

Teton Tenkara and its affiliated YouTube channel will remain online as a reference. They may be added to when I return.

Once again my tenkara friends and family, thank you; you have made my life better, and I bid you all a fond farewell. See you on the mountain streams in a year and a half. Save some fish for me!

Teton Tenkara signing off.

元気で











14 comments:

  1. Thank you for making me a part of your sharing over the years.They waited for you to come back.Be appy for you availability.Goodbay Claudio Italia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I will take the next 18 months to start the beginning of the blog and YouTube channel and maybe when I am done you will be back at it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on your new assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your tenkara journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, you've inspired me no end over the last few years.
    Good luck on a your next adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom,
    Safe travels. I know you will be a great resource to the people you will be advising. Thanks for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great soul you are!
    God Bless you guys in this new journey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish you and your wife all the very Best in your new journey. Thank you for all your blog posts, which have been a valuable source of Tenkara information not only to me but to Tenkara and Fixed Line fly fishers throughout the World. Thank you and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very much enjoyed your blog and videos over the years. Your new adventure sounds amazing. I have colleagues who do medical missions in Guatemala each year. The need is great in the world. Good bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the best to you and yours on this next stage. Your blog and posts were a great resource in my Tenkara Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for all of your advice and I wish you all the best in this adventure; knowing you from what I have read over the years, you will make it an adventure and see it all...all in the smallest spaces...and outer spaces... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all you have done for the Tenkara community over the years. We will miss you but look forward to your return. What wonderful calling you have I know you will inspire and influence many just as you have done with tenkara. God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following your blog for a couple years now. I know you will be great for the missionaries in your mission in Guatemala. My son is serving his mission in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome call! My nephew is in Guatamala now, and returning at the ned of July. Enjoy the heat and humidity. The young missionaries need good medical care. My nephew suffered greatly with issues because of food/water born parasites.

    ReplyDelete