August 12, 2021

Tenkara Rod Co. Yari - dry review

I recently received an email from Tristan Higbee (Tenkara Addict) where he asked if I'd like to take a look at his newest tenkara rod acquisition, the Tenkara Rod Co. (TRC) Yari. I had seen the Kickstarter campaign for this rod, but having elected not to purchase one, I didn't have any expectation of reviewing the rod. So when Tristan offered to lend my his Yari, I of course said yes.

There has been some buzz online regarding the mystery manufacturer of the Yari, a "well known" company in Japan. Many have guessed Tenryu as this mystery manufacturer, and after reviewing the specs, handling, and casting the Yari, I would agree. The Yari is a rebranded Tenryu rod.  

The Yari is a slim, and overall svelte looking tenkara rod. It is red-orange in coloration and has a hard, smooth, glossy finish, almost like red Asian enamel. Accents are held to a minimum (unlike most of TRC's overly painted rods) with some white bands on the tipward portion of the handle section. The rod designation is likewise simple, just stating the name of the rod and "Made in Japan". There is an unfortunate "rising sun over river" line drawing on the front of the rod.  Graphics like this shouldn't surprise anyone, as TRC is well known for their "young and hip" over-the-top graphics. BTW, a Yari is a traditional Japanese blade in the form of a spear.






The handle is very good to excellent cork and is the simple Tenryu cylindrical shape. It is quite thin in diameter (relative to most non-Japanese designed rods), which is common in Japanese made tenkara rods. There is no winding check and the top of the handle tapers slightly. The handle is 25.5 cm in length.


The tip plug is dense wood and fits into the handle section snuggly. The butt cap is red anodized metal which has a slightly knurled edge. There is a coin slot to aid removal and a decompression air hole. There is an O-ring, to minimize spontaneous loosening of the butt cap. 






The lilian is red and moderately long. It is attached to the tip section via a perfectly executed micro-swivel. The tip section can be withdrawn through the second section (Japanese order of section numbering is tip section is #1), and the rod can be completely disassembled for drying and cleaning.


Here are my measurements:

Extended length: 358 cm

Nested length: 55 cm

Weight (without tip plug): 63 g

CCS/RFI: 19 pennies/5.3



For the updated version of the RFI Comparison Chart, CLICK HERE and request the link.


Casting the rod is wonderful, as you would expect from a rod made by one of Japan's premier rod manufacturers (Tenryu, not TRC). The action is smooth and rich, but not slow or full-flex. The rod feels very similar to the Tenryu TF39 and TF39TA, but of course, that makes sense. The RFI puts the Yari squarely in the 6:4 flex action. 

I used a #3 fluorocarbon level line, but the rod feels like it would prefer a #3.5 or maybe even a #4 in certain conditions. There is no oscillation at the end of the casting arc. Linear and rotational dampening is excellent. 

I didn't fish with the Yari, as the rod is Tristan's personal property. Too much can happen when fishing, and I didn't want to risk anything untoward happening to the rod. But Tristan has fished with the rod. His video can be seen here

Is there anything I don't like about the rod? Well, yes. I don't like the slim handle diameter. Skinny handles make my hand cramp after a short time casting. I don't like that. I also don't care for red rods. I prefer black, with a matte finish. I'm not a fan of micro-swivels either. They are a weak point in the system and I've had too many pull off under line pressure. That list isn't very long, but it does outline my complaints.



So why do I think Tenryu manufactured the Yari? Well, I've cast and fished with the Tenryu TF39 and TF39TA. The coloration and finish are the same. The handle is the same. The tip plug and butt cap are the same (excepting butt cap's anodized coloration). The lilian and micro-swivel are the same. Finally, the action is very close to the other Tenryu rods. The Yari is a Tenryu rod, I'd bet on it. 

Can you buy one of these rods? No, you can't, not at this time. Unfortunately, the Yari was produced in a limited run and sold through a Kickstarter campaign. If you didn't get in on the campaign, you didn't get a chance to buy the rod. 

Conclusion: This is a very nice rod. The action is rich and unlabored. The light weight is wonderful. The fit and finish is near perfect. This is a true Japanese tenkara rod. Is it any better than readily available premium Japanese tenkara rods (Nissin Zerosum and Fujiryu, Shimano, Suntech TenkaraBum, Oni, etc)? I don't think so. But it's an excellent Japanese tenkara rod, none the less.

I'm not a fan of TRC's rods in general, but this rod raises their standing in American tenkara rod companies. That said, TRC didn't design the rod, Tenryu did, as well as manufactured it. This rod is designed for people who want to fish tenkara as practiced in Japan. It is not like TRC's typical rods, which are designed for people who want to fish in a "simple way", and don't give a fig for Japanese tenkara. 

Even though I'm pretty hard on TRC and their approach to tenkara, I think they should be commended for getting the Yari produced. They should make the Yari readily available on their website store, rather than only doing an occasional production run. If TRC wants to be accepted by Japanese tenkara enthusiasts, they should put the Yari at the head of their line up and keep it readily available. This is a TRC rod that I would buy! Congratulations TRC!

Disclaimer: My opinion regarding this rod is just that, my opinion. Your opinion may differ.  Also, your rod may not have the same length, issues, or functionality as my rod. There are variations between rods, even in the same production run. No description can fully tell you how a rod feels or fishes. For this, you must personally hold, cast, and fish the rod then make up your own mind. 
I was loaned the TRC Yari by its owner, Tristan Higbee, and it was returned to him after my review.





2 comments:

  1. It looks like TRC just announced a new addition Yari coming into their store on March 28th 2023. I am curious if it is the same source manufacture or just another Chinese rod with the same name? It appears yellow and red in color certainly to show a new edition of this well known name. Very curious indeed. I am yet to own a TRC rod and own many Wasatch and Dragontail Rods (and one Tiny Ten and Tenkara USA) but have been looking to just spread the branding variety but haven't found the "TRC rod" for me yet. Curious to see if you get your hands on one Tom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. " This rod is designed for people who want to fish tenkara as practiced in Japan. It is not like TRC's typical rods, which are designed for people who want to fish in a "simple way", and don't give a fig for Japanese tenkara. " Could you elaborate? Newbie here of course...

    ReplyDelete