December 31, 2023

July 31, 2023 - Another One of My Favorite Waters

I love this little stream. It's mostly overlooked for the larger, regional trout streams and that's OK by me. This streams flows through a quiet canyon and having only a few dispersed camping areas, remains quiet most all the time. Unlike it's sibling creek to the south, this canyon's topography doesn't predispose it to off road camping sites. This feature means that for the most part, when you are on the creek, you are undisturbed. 


The creek holds mostly brook trout. I normally don't seek out brook trout waters, but the char in this creek are generally larger than those in surrounding waters. This makes them a more pleasurable target to pursue. Along with the brook trout are the occasional cutthroat. While fewer in numbers than the brook trout, they are on a whole larger and make a more challenging quarry. 

I like to use a 360 cm rod on this creek, but up on the headwaters, as seen in this vlog, a 330-340 cm rod is more appropriate. Today I used the Shimano Park Tenkara, a wonderful compact rod with a finesse action. It's a delight fish and with its softer flex action it makes smaller fish feel sporting. 

I mostly stick with kebari on this creek, but I will use the occasional bead head if earlier in the season. I'm sure a dry fly would fish well here, but I've never used one on this creek. 

Here's the vlog:




No comments:

Post a Comment