August 12, 2024

July 17, 2024 - One of My Favorite Places

This stream is one of my favorites. I have to drive a little bit to get to it, and the dirt road takes forever, but it's worth it. Last year the wind was too strong to present the fly properly, but this year it was excellent. I stayed overnight and fished it two days. That's the way to do it, if possible. Another day this summer, a couple weeks after this, is when I rode the Rokon in five miles and fished the middle section. That was worth it too, albeit it was a difficult day. 

A 4 meter rod, #3 FC line of 320 cm plus tippet to match the length of the rod, works best for accurate presentations. On this stream I need to go with 5X or 4.5X FC tippet. The 5.5X works great, but it breaks off a little too easily on these fish. 

As long as I am able I'll be coming back each year to this stream. 




2 comments:

  1. Really nice video! One of my all time favorites too. Although I usually go in August. The few times I have gone in July the water is a bit too high for me, especially below the confluence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to your trip 5 miles in on the Rokon. I am wondering if you went up or hiked down lower downstream from there. Was the stream difficult to cross with late spring runoff? I was just fishing the Middle area today. I haven't come down the route you did. I hike down the trail from the confluence above. About 1.5 mile. A tiring for an older adult! The Anonymous comment above was mine also.

    ReplyDelete