October 2, 2018

No Need to Show up Early

Onething I notice on my streams is that when the sun heads back south, when the temperatures drop and the leaves change, morning fishing gets slow. I've noticed this from year to year, but sometimes I have a hard time waiting around in the morning to hit the stream.

This year has been no different. The other morning I visited a small creek that I love, only to find the browns unwilling to take my fly. I did catch two, but this was in a section where I normally take over a dozen in less than an hour. I only stayed for about 40 minutes when I realized how slow it was going to be.







The air was cool and crisp, and the water temperature had dropped from 56 degrees two weeks before to 44 degrees. I think the trout were still trying to adjust and were still asleep.




So, not to be defeated, I drove up into the mountains to fish for cutthroat. By the time I had had lunch and made it to the spot I had decided to fish it was 1:30 PM. The air temperature was now up to 72 degrees and the water was in the low 50's.




With the sun high in a robin egg blue sky, I took cutthroat after cutthroat, making me a happy man.






Now that the weather has cooled and the days are shorter I just need to be more patient. With the shift on the season I won't show up to the stream before noon!

Fly of the day.








2 comments:

  1. Slow is good sometimes...awesome color variations on those wild browns.
    Great looking fly, care to share some particulars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tom. I do not know if this will be of any help to you or not but, in fishing with dry flies there is no point in fishing until the air temperature is warmer than the water temperature, otherwise the trout will not expose their snouts to the air to take a dry fly floating on the water. Banker's hours (9 to 5) works well in the summer. In the early spring and late fall, the warmest part of the day is best. Regards....Karl.

    ReplyDelete