July 29, 2020

Bozeman Flyworks Tippet

Over the past many years I have been using TroutHunter fluorocarbon tippet. It has worked very well for me, and I love the fact that it comes in half sizes. I mainly use 5.5X. But like most all fluorocarbon tippet, TroutHunter is expensive. 



But over the past few months I've been using Bozeman Flyworks fluorocarbon tippet. I like the fact that it is so much less expensive ($9.75 USD at the time of this writing)! And for that price you get 55 yards (TroutHunter is 50 meters, or 54.6 yards)! It seems to work very well and I haven't notice any issues like weakness, chaffing, knot failure with it. The spools are the right size for my Zimmerbuilt Strap Pack (that I use as my chest pack) and the spools snap together. I usually only carry 5X and 6X, so I don't need a lot of room. 




But there are a few things that make me wonder if Bozeman Flyworks tippet is really fluorocarbon. First is the cost. Although the spools are labeled as "Fluoro" they cost as if they are nylon. Second, this tippet stretches much more than any fluorocarbon tippet I've had prior. Fluorocarbon tippet usually doesn't stretch that much whereas nylon tippet stretches enough that it can act like a "shock tippet". 

I've noticed that the reviews for this stuff are quite good. Amazon reviews note that the product is in evolution and it seems to be getting better. There are discussions online that fluorocarbon resin is only made by a few chemical companies, so it makes me wonder where Bozeman gets their tippet.

But all in all, I'm not sure it really matters. I'm a fluorocarbon guy, always have been since it was introduced as tippet material, but I know it's not without controversy. The environmental impact of fluorocarbon is always important to consider - fluorocarbon doesn't break down in UV light like nylon does. In other words, fluorocarbon is not biodegradable and as environmentally friendly. Still, I like how it casts and so I use it. I try to carefully gather up any stray fluorocarbon line that I break off and wind it on my thermometer, to take home to the trash. 



Despite the questions I have and the environmental controversy, I like Bozeman Flyworks fluorocarbon tippet well enough that for now I'll keep using it. It seems to work just fine and it brings me a big bang for the buck!

Here's a video where I talk about it a little:













2 comments:

  1. You can take a look at Seaguar STS Trout/Steelhead Fluorocarbon Leader... It is not marketed as tippet, but there is no doubt it is fluorocarbon and quality is good. 4lb works well as 5x tippet substitute (unfortunately they do not have other thicknesses which fits Tenkara). It is 100yd per spool - which is too much (rewinding it on old tippet spools is the solution), but it is around twice cheaper than Bozeman tippet...

    ReplyDelete