March 14, 2021

Tying Without a Vice

 I decided to give a try at tying a few kebari without using a vise. I know that it's a pretty common practice by some Japanese tenkara practitioners, but I've never had a go at it. I've been tying for decades and the thought of tying without a vise has intrigued me for some time. 

My main reason for trying this way was to see if I could pull it off. Sure, I could probably throw a feather on a hook, but I wanted to do the thing handsomely and see if I could produce a well proportioned fly. Since learning about pesca a mosca Valsesiana a number of years ago, and learning that the flies used in this Italian fishing technique are often tied without a vise, I wanted to give it a go. 

So, with that in mind, I tied up a couple of kebari last night. One was a jun style and the other sakasa style. These flies were not in the style of pesca a mosca Valsesiana, where usually silk thread and  feathers harvested in the wild are used, but they were more like the kebari I tie for my style of tenkara. 

To control the hook, until I get more practiced, I used some old needle drivers. These held the hook well, and gave me better control as I applied the materials onto the hook. 

For the sakasa kebari, I used black multi-purpose sewing thread, some black peacock Ice Dub and Whiting Brahma Hen soft hackle. For the jun kebari, I used red YLI Silk thread, gray Jamieson's Spindrift wool yarn, peacock herl, and the Brahma hen hackle. I tied them both on #10 Firehole 315 hooks. As I get better with this technique, I'll try different materials and hooks. 


I found that tying the flies was not that hard, but a different approach needed to be taken. There was certainly a different approach to thread management, and whipping the heads was interesting. But it all worked out. Here is what I came up with:



I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. I'm sure these two flies will fish well and I enjoyed the process a lot. This method won't replace my vise, but it was fun and I'm going to keep at it!





4 comments:

  1. Tom, well done! A few years ago I tied a couple of kebari by hand. I don't know what happened to them but I don't think that they looked that good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave. I was surprised they turned out so well. I really wasn't expecting that!

      Delete
  2. Tom, years back I tied a Rangeley streamer in hand. It was a challenge, and one that I have never attempted again.
    Great flies, and thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alan. I don't think I would 've done quite as well without the needle drivers holding the hook. I'm amazed at those who can tie beautiful flies just holding the hook between their index finger and thumb. I know I couldn't do that!

      Delete