April 4, 2023

It's Going To Be A Crazy Spring!

Since I live in the mountains of eastern Idaho, winter puts down a lot of snow. We don't get Buffalo, NY type of snow, or even High Sierra type of snow, but it's still a lot. Most years we get enough snow to make fishing in April, May, June questionable. Living at 6000 feet elevation, in some high snow pack years, even July can be difficult. 

But this winter we got record snow. How much? Well, I've got over 10 feet in the north side of my house. I've got about five feet on the level in my front yard. The mountain I live on has a ski area. Some years it gets just enough snow to open after Christmas and close April 1st. This year opening was not a problem. 





Here are some snow depths from area towns and regions:



I think this spring is going to be either a real wash out from flooding and torrential run-off, or it's going to be a long run-off! I think fishing my small streams in the Tetons and other regional streams probably won't be good until the end of July or the first of August. Oh well, there's always autumn fishing to look forward to!






 

1 comment:

  1. Did you mean “Rocky Mountain Spring”? I miss your videos on the stream.

    ReplyDelete