November 11, 2023

October 24, 2023 - Testing a Prototype Rod

I like testing rods. I also like working with rod companies and giving them my feedback on how I see they can make their rods better. I'm not a rod expert, but I've fished a lot of rods and learned what works and what doesn't for Rocky Mountain streams and their resident fish. So when I get a chance to test out a prototype tenkara rod, I usually jump a the chance. 

And so it happened in the end of October. Brent Auger, of DRAGONtail tenkara, contacted me regarding a new rod design that they were testing. It was a rod that would be sold under the Nirvana label, and have higher quality materials and taper design. Up until now, DRAGONtail rods have been made in China, and although the factory they work with has become much better in the areas of design, materials and manufacturing quality, there is still a challenge with consistency and uniformity. So DRAGONtail has been looking for ways to increase quality to a point that would rival Japanese rods. Enter Korea. 

DRAGONtail's higher quality line of rods are produced under the NIRVANA ON THE FLY label. Up until recently, Nirvana rods have been produced in China, like DRAGONtail rods. But Brent and Brandon have fostered a new relationship with a rod manufacturer in South Korea and have been impressed with what they've seen. They decided to change the manufacture of Nirvana line of rods to that factory. Koreans have a long history of striving for the highest quality in their manufacturing processes. Koreans also have a historical enmity with Japan, and often strive to better the Japanese in whatever they strive to do. 

The rod I was loaned was a 360 cm tenkara rod designed for mountain stream fishing. It is specifically designed to compete directly with Japanese rods in design, materials and quality. The balance is excellent, as is the upper mid flex action. I'm really excited about this rod! It will be many months before it's released for sale, but I think it will change people's ideas of American tenkara rods. 

Here's the vlog:






No comments:

Post a Comment