January 24, 2015

Rod Flex Index Chart Tab

As I have reviewed rods over the years, I have tried to tabulate my measurements of the various rod's flex index in a way that is useful to those seeking information regarding a certain rod. This has culminated in the Rod Flex Index (RFI) chart.

As you may have noticed, when ever a new rod review is published, the chart is updated with the data from that particular rod. This naturally causes that table to be ever changing, somewhat dynamic, as new rods are added. The problem is that if you want to see the latest RFI chart, you have to go searching through the blog to find the most recent rod review. This, I freely admit, can be somewhat cumbersome and inefficient.

Therefore, I have added a tab to the Teton Tenkara blog that has the most recent RFI chart. There is also a brief explanation of how the RFI chart came to be and how is can be used.

As I state in the narrative of that tab, I hope this information is useful to those interested in specific rods and in their comparison to other rods. The table is not all inclusive, there are way too many rods out there for that to be accomplished, but it should give you guys an idea of how the most popular rods cluster in regards to their flex index.

The Rod Flex Index Chart tab at the top on Teton Tenkara

I will continue to add to the RFI chart as I am able to get data for other rods. I can only buy, measure, use and sell rods so fast, so be patient. After all, I like to go fishing too!









3 comments:

  1. Tom-
    You mention that the Ryokei 390 and the Ito have the same RFI yet they in no way cast and feel the same. That is because the rotational movement of the Ryokei is a 4 which is presumably very good because it indicates little if any tip heaviness. That sounds right to my non-technical mind so wouldn't a table or chart of rotational movement be more valuable than RFI? Perhaps there is one and I just don't know where to look.
    Thanks for the great blog-Jeff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeff,

      I don't know about more valuable, but a chart showing rotational moment would be of some benefit when comparing certain rods. Rotational moment, to my mind, is only relevant for longer rods, say those 380 cm or longer. It is these rods that suffer the most from tip heaviness. Most any one can make a 360 cm rod that doesn't feel too tip heavy. It take some real engineering and top quality materials to make a rod 390 cm which doesn't feel tip heavy. BTW, I am working on such a table for 380 cm and longer rods.

      Delete
  2. This is a wonderful addition to your blog. You should have seen me trying to find this chart when I was in the Sansui fishing shop in Japan using a slow mobile wifi doodad and my iPhone.

    ReplyDelete