June 3, 2015

Tenkara Video Log -- June 1, 2015

June is the month of high water in the Rockies.  The high altitude snow starts coming down heavily raising the water levels and filling the reservoirs. This past few weeks this has been happening, along with heavy rains from early monsoonal thunderstorms.

I usually try to fish the lower elevation streams during all this rushing water, or explore waters/canyons that I've not fished before. This is what I did the other day.



I fished a stream that was new to me. The water was high, but not too high. The clarity was murky and the water temperature was 58°F. The sky was mainly clear but the big problem was the wind. It was steady at 10-15 mph out of the south; gusts were over 20 mph.



I tried to get down into the willows for some protection from the wind but this was not that successful. The wind penetrated into every nook and cranny of the stream.  I started with a standard line but quickly changed over to a titanium wind line.




I fished for 1.5 hours total. I caught 27 trout in that amount of time -- all cutthroats; sizes ranging from 6 inches to 12 inches. I used a bead body red Squirmy Wormy. This fly seemed to be perfect for the water conditions.

Here is the video log:














2 comments:

  1. So much for rod color having a negative effect on catch production

    ReplyDelete