April 3, 2016

April Fools Browns

I fished a creek on April 1st that is one of the most difficult I routinely fish. I say routinely, but in fact, I only fish it in April or November. The creek is small, moderately high gradient and is very technically difficult due to the over abundance of vegetation. Every time I fish it there are new cottonwood trees that have fallen across, new vines climbing from one side to the other, and because of this the creek is never the same. Sometimes I can fish a stretch and not even recognize familiar features.

Still, I keep coming back. I guess it's for the challenge; to test my skill. My wife says it's good for me as this creek keeps me humble!

This year I fished it on April Fools Day, April 1st. I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but even though I hooked a number of browns, I brought to hand only a few. Because of the tight quarters it's very hard to set the hook and fight the trout on a tight line. Still...I love it!

Here's the video of the fish I hooked and lost. I do get a few to hand, but the best came off.








2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the video and the info at the end relating to rod size and fly. I learn more about creek tenkara fishing while watching. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fish was just being a prankster. Goes along with the date on the calendar.

    ReplyDelete