May 9, 2018

More Cutthroats During Run Off

I fished for native, wild Bonneville cutthroat trout the other day in a stream that I usually fish in late May and June. This strain of Bonneville cutthroats are closely related to the Bear River strain, as this stream empties into the Bear River.  They have pure genes and have not been interbred with other species of trout. They are pretty special.






The air was 65º F and the water was 44º F. The water was off colored still, but this is not unusual this time of year. The high elevation snow is still melting and it will take another 3-4 weeks for the stream to clear up. By that time, the water levels will also be much lower. I prefer to fish this stream before the water falls too far.






Because of the off colored water I used flies made for those conditions. I used a San Ron Worm, BH Black Prince and #6 Utah Killer Bug. All of these flies produced.






Most of the fish I hooked were in the 8-9 inch range, but I did hook into two fish that I would estimate to have been around 13-14 inches. I couldn't land either as they both got off when they used the current to get under willow snags. But that's OK, I know they are there and will be back another day to have at them again.





Cutthroat trout are, with out a doubt, my favorite fish to pursue, and when they are a pure strain they are even that much more special!









2 comments:

  1. Tom, I always look forward to your next post, especially those about your adventures into solitude. I'm thankful for the simple refuge of those small streams. I have yet to see anyone else there!
    Thanks for sharing, Larry (Idaho)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, been awhile since I've visited your blog. Enjoyed reading about your outing. Miss your rod reviews.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete