July 26, 2020

Finally Made it!

There is a stream that I've wanted to fish for years, but the stars never lined up for me to go. This year I finally made it! It's not that far from my home in Victor, but it's just far enough out of the way that it kept me from going.

The drive in is not that bad; the road was very manageable and the views where great! I had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road, as the views if the Tetons was stunning. 



I had read some reports of fishing in that general area but none from this particular stream. I generally fish the same streams and creeks over and over until I develop a mental map of where each lie and each trout is. But I do enjoy fishing new waters as well. I do get a little anxious on what species, size and number of trout I'll find, but that's half the fun of new water - right?

The stream was very wadable. There were areas that were too deep, but none that were too fast. I used the Oni Type-I and a 12' #3 line. To this I added 6X tippet. For fly, I chose a #12 Oxford wool kebari, jun style. The air was 75°F and the water 53°F; just perfect!





Over the course of my time on the water I caught Yellowstone cutthroat trout. They were from 8 to 11 inches, so nothing huge. But they were all beautiful and healthy. I didn't take many pictures of the fish, why? Because I was too lazy, and I was enjoying myself!



I will definitely be back, maybe even this year. Conclusion: new water is fun!








No comments:

Post a Comment