January 5, 2021

Reinforcing Peacock Herl and Hiding Whip Finish Thread

Using a dubbing hook is a great way to reinforce peacock herl on your flies and kebari. It is simple to do, and works really well making a very robust herl chenille! Here is a video where I demonstrate how I use the dubbing hook. 

Also on the video, I show how I hide the threads of my whip finish when I tie a sakasa kebari. Most flies are whipped at the head, but I tie the head first on a sakasa kebari and I whip behind the thorax. With a thread body sakasa kebari,  that is no issue, but with a wool or other material abdomen it can leave a prominent band of thread. That thread band is OK is you are using thread the same color as the thorax or abdomen, but when you use thread of a different color, it can be unsightly. I don't think the fish care, but I do! So in the video, I show how I hide the whip threads with a little dubbing.

The field of view (FOV) of this video is non-traditional on purpose. It is to allow you to see the loop formation and whipping technique better than the standard fly tying view. 

Let me know if you have any questions about either technique. 








No comments:

Post a Comment