December 12, 2021

New Water - August 4, 2021

 I fished some new-to-me water in Wyoming this past August. It was a long drive to get to it, but I found the drive worth it. I hooked some really nice cutthroat, but unfortunately many got off quickly. I hadn't realized that there would be that large of fish in the creek and so I wasn't mentally prepared for the fight.

 I did return to the creek at a later date and I got my revenge. I came with a different rod and line, but more importantly I came more mentally prepared! 




2 comments:

  1. Tom...nice sized cutties during this video...wondering what your thought process is picking a fly to fish? am reviewing your and other T videos building a fly tying library for winter tying activities...love to hear about how / why you choose a fly...thanks...and best to you this season...
    Brad,
    Scappoose, OR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad, I generally chose a fly based on one of two goals. First is "do I want to catch fish". That sounds silly, but if I want to catch fish then I choose a confidence fly, one that has worked over and over again. This type of fly comes only from fishing your particular waters and finding out what works consistently and what doesn't. The second goal is "do I want to test a new pattern and risk not catching fish". If this is the case, then I try a series of patterns I've not used before to see if they will be added to my confidence collection. That's how I choose a fly. There's no magic.

      Delete