November 26, 2023

July 14, 2023 - A Favorite Local Creek

This creek is close to my home and I used to fish it a lot. I haven't fished it for a couple years, but I thought it was time to go back and see how things and changed over the years. I used to fish it before I found tenkara. I'd use my St. Croix 7' 6" 2wt fly rod and back then I'd pick up some pretty nice sized fish. 


Poor fish management. Before I knew better. 


It's a fun little creek. I used to ride my motorcycle up over the mountain to get to it, but since my back has deteriorated, I had to stop doing that. Now, I drive the Tacoma up there and walk in on the trail. That's still fun, but I do miss the bike. 

The creek is small in its headwater region. It has native, wild cutthroat trout in it, and the challenge to taking them is the creek side grass and brush. It takes quality casting to not end up with your fly spending most of its time in the vegetation. 

After starting tenkara, I've preferred certain tenkara rods for this creek. First was the Daiwa Sagiri 39MC, then a couple Suntech rods, and finally the Oni Itoshiro (which is what I use in this video). But now I think a better match is the Nissin Air Stage Fujiryu 330 5:5 and the Shimano Pack Tenkara. I ended up selling the Sagiri, the Suntech rods and the Itoshiro, as they didn't speak to me the same way the other rods did. 

As far as flies, pretty much any fly will work. The creek does get pretty low and weedy in late summer, and it's then that I'll use a dry fly, like a foam ant or parachute Adams. But most of the time I fish subsurface with unweighted kebari. 

I still love this creek. This next year I need to spend more time fishing it. I've been away too long.

Here's the vlog:






No comments:

Post a Comment