January 11, 2014

Memories of Warmer Days

I was recently looking through some of my video footage, and I saw that I had some from last autumn that I hadn't edited. I thought it was poor footage because it was "jerky", but come to find out that "jerkiness" was due to my computer, not the video footage. So, I decided that since I haven't been able to get out on the water lately I'd edit the video.

As I was watching the video, pleasant memories came back to me of the days well spent hunting cutthroat trout in the Teton/Yellowstone backcountry. The warm days, the cold nights, the smell of fur and pine, the sounds of the water and the wind in the trees. I miss it already and can't wait for next year to get back out among the wilderness I love so much.






In this video I try to show not only where I took the fish but the drift of the line after the fly hits the water. I have found out that in these little unprofessional tenkara videos that I make there is no way to see the line. I've used brightly colored furled line, PVC lines, etc and still the lines don't reliably show up on video. Therefore, if the line won't show up I figured I show you where I cast the fly and its overall drift, as well as where the fish takes the fly. I hope this helps makes the videos more educational and enjoyable.






For this trip I used two rods, the Hirame-ML-3909 and the Daiwa 43M-F. I fished with either a 13 foot #4 fluorocarbon level line or a 3.9 meter black Sakura Masterline. The flies I used varied from kebari to beadheads to dry attractors. The fish were all wild, native Yellowstone cutthroat trout. Hallelujah!!





So, if you're inclined, watch the video and tell me how you like the format. It works? The video is just music and annotation; no voice narration -- so you don't have to hear me jabber on and on. This video is in POV as I don't carry my 3rd person view stuff into the backcountry.

Thanks again for watching. I'm trying to improve the blog. Your comments and suggestions are always read and really help.








15 comments:

  1. Hi Tom,
    I always enjoy your videos and look forward finding new videos uploaded to your site. The new format works for me. At times I find it difficult to follow the cast and the take of the fly by a fish. The new format makes following the fishing sequence easier without being too intrusive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shawn! That's the feedback that I was looking for. I have some other modifications to the videos that will be coming as well. Thanks again.

      -Tom

      Delete
  2. Like the voice free format very much. As one of the things I like about fishing alone is the quiet - this formats fits in perfectly. I would like to suggest one thing for you to consider and that is to show the fly you are using in your videos. Thanks Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do occasionally show the fly (flies) I used and I will continue to do so. In this video, however, I used many different ones and so I elected against it, sorry. I'll try to be better.

      Delete
  3. Hi Tom, Andrew here. Really enjoy the the videos and the new format. The old way was great too but with the arrow and circle in red it's very easy to follow. As someone pretty new to fly fishing and trying to learn how to read water properly I appreciate the instructional aspect of these videos very much. Keep up the great blog, cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the others in liking the voice free format now with cast-to and fish-take annotations. I've always liked your accompanying music. I'm suffering winter blues at 5,000' in Colorado with the nearby river at 30-32F and the fish virtually uncatchable by me, so you posting this video at this time is especially appreciated.

      Question: do you sometimes use the smaller lines, like # 3 or #2.5, with weighed flies? I do, because I think at least the weighed flies I like, often size 16 with 7/64 tung bead heads, cast well enough with such lines even in wind, and the smaller lines belly less of their own weight and in the wind. OK, it's trade offs and personal taste but I would like to know what you do anyway.

      Delete
    2. John L,

      I do use #3 and #3.5 lines frequently. Lately I have been using a #4 line for some reason, but I don't know why. I need to start using the #3 line with beadheads and give it a try. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  4. Tom,

    Caught the video last night right after you posted it. Great Job.

    I really enjoyed this one a lot. You had be shaking and salivating to be on water that nice. From the scenery to the water to the fish you have my wanting winter to hurry up and get over. I can see spending several days working up a river like that, covering miles of water picking fish out of the pools and pockets.

    I liked the format you took in this with the video and music. I was very relaxing to watch. The one or two things I might suggest would be to make the text just a little larger so that it is easier to read quickly as it goes by. Secondly you might consider not pausing the video for the text as it breaks up the flow a little as watching it.

    I have really enjoyed your videos over the past couple years, watching your style both of filming and editing develop.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,

      Thanks for the comments. As far as the pauses, they are the only way I currently can annotate the video. I'm trying other methods though and this may change.

      This is a pretty place. It has large trees that would be great for hanging.

      Delete
    2. From the great words of Biff's great grandfather in back to the future 3... "It's time we had a hanging."

      Delete
  5. I agree with the majority that the video format is great without the voice(nothing personal). I really enjoy your videos and especially like the fact that you show the rod used and the flies although you did not show the flies in this case. I also like your comments on certain equipment that you prefer and why which is very helpful. Perhaps if there was some mermaids besides the stream things could be improved but otherwise keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great video Tom! Unfortunately, I can't offer any constructive criticism.. I've seen every video you've posted and I think they are all awesome!

    Actually, I just thought of one thing.. next time you are in Arkansas visiting.. could you maybe shoot a video up there in Northwest Arkansas? I've seen some smallies that were calling your name! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom,
    Another great video. I am not sure if I have seen all your videos yet, but I am working on it. I noticed in the preamble to this one you ask if there was any other information you might be able to add to assist in the educational aspect of your productions. To that end, I would love to know at least, what size and length of line and tippet you are fishing on the rods you are using. A step beyond that would be the distance of your cast. I love the red markers you are using and maybe a notation in red on the approximate distance of your cast would be very educational. The drift line is great, but how far did it drift before the set? Can you advise when you are site fishing or casting to a promising area? Maybe it's just me but I feel the numbers and more red marking can help tell the story and aid in the educational aspects. Many thanks for your consideration.

    ReplyDelete