June 10, 2017

Fishing With My Son - June 9, 2017

I'm not a guide, but I do on occasion have the opportunity to fish with another person who has need of some coaching and guidance. One of those opportunities came up yesterday when I went with my son fishing. I'm certainly not an expert tenkara angler, but I've been practicing tenkara (let alone fly fishing) for quite a while that I've learned a thing or two. My son is heading off to law school, and yesterday's trip will likely be the last time we fish together for awhile. It's hard to believe he's all grown up -- where did the time go?

For this trip I took him to a couple of headwater streams that I had been fishing lately. I knew where the trout were, and I knew what they would take. I helped him with his gear and got him into casting position. He has caught trout via tenkara in the past, but this trip was special. The trout were very cooperative and everything worked out as planned.



I took video of the trip. It's mostly of him, as he caught most of the fish. I only made a few casts and caught one fish. That was good enough for me. I delighted more in watching him use his skills so effectively and catching trout after trout.

Here's the video:









5 comments:

  1. Wow Tom, thanks for sharing this with us, hard to beat father and son stuff. Great to hear you give instruction and encouragement while your son fished. Really cool video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool.
    Best vid you ever made IMO!
    Congrats to both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent video, Tom. You would make a fine guide!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your guide! Keep learning...

    ReplyDelete